Attorney Joseph (Jody) Shelby brings over two decades of experience to Mette, Evans & Woodside. His legal experience ranges from practicing at large, multi-city firms to launching his own private practice. Currently, Jody concentrates his practice in labor and employment law. He also practices in the areas of professional licensure defense and social security disability, as well as mediation and arbitration.
In the area of employment law, Jody has extensive experience in handling claims of employment discrimination and wrongful discharge. He has represented clients in matters related to ADA, ADEA, Title VII, FMLA, FLSA, collective actions and other employment/human resources related legal issues. He has also tried special, preliminary and permanent injunction cases involving restrictive covenants, including but not limited to, non-competition, non-solicitation and "corporate raiding" cases.
A firm believer in alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration, Jody has worked with clients to resolve legal matters outside of the courtroom. In addition, he focuses on proactive client counseling so that his clients can run an efficient, law abiding workplace in order to keep his clients from ever experiencing the litigation process. In so doing, he is a big proponent of "Employee Satisfaction equaling Customer Satisfaction."
In addition, Jody represents individuals who are seeking social security disability due to a physical or mental condition that prevents them from working. His working knowledge of social security disability is invaluable in assisting clients in navigating the complex application process.
Jody is a former board member of the Lancaster YMCA and the Manheim Township Education Foundation. In his free time, when he's not attending his three children's many activities, he enjoys playing basketball and golfing.
U.S. District Courts:
Eastern District of PA
Middle District of PA
Western District of PA
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals:
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Dauphin County Bar Association
Lancaster County Bar Association
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., Magna Cum Laude
Gettysburg College, B.A., Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
RECENT PUBLISHED OPINIONS
• Ridgeway v. Bayhealth Medical Center, 2013 WL 5435535 (D. Del., 2013)
• Kelly v. Healthcare Services Group, 2013 WL 5665468 (E.D. Tex., 2013)
• Wilson v. Bayhealth Medical Center, 2013 WL 2431513 (D. Del. 2013) (Summary of trial verdict)
• Ashley v. Bayhealth Medical Center, 869 F. Supp. 2nd 544 (D. Del. 2012)
SELECTED RECENT SPEAKING EGAGEMENTS
• Minimizing the Risks of Litigation and Liabilities When Discharging Employees Who Provide Patient Care
• Harassment, Avoidance and Related Issues
• Legal Aspects of Interviewing
• ADA: Rights and Responsibilities of the Health Care Employer
• Patient Satisfaction through Employee Satisfaction
• Wage and Hour Issues for Medical Professional Practices
• Leaves of Absence - Stop the Abuse